|I. Establishment Background|
After the financial crisis, the global economy is still in need of profound adjustment, while the recovery state of transnational investment is not optimistic, the domestic enterprises find themselves in a quite complicated environment to absorb the foreign capital and to invest abroad as well. Both the developed and the developing countries are enhancing the work strengths to promote investment, and emphasizing more on raising the specialty and effectiveness of their promotional works. Enhancing the bilateral investment and international exchange in agriculture sector are critical steps for the country to implement reform and opening-up policy as well as to score agricultural and rural economic development. Under the complicated international circumstance, we must base ourselves on the development achieved by far to transform the developing pattern and to coordinate both foreign and domestic markets and resources for the optimization of international investment and trade environment as well as the combination of “outbound and inbound investment”. Thereby, we shall make brand new contributions to the important strategic deployment on expediting agricultural modernization that stipulated in the 18th Party Congress report.
The Investment Promotion Agency of the Ministry of Commerce (CIPA) is an investment promotion department that is directly under the guidance of the Ministry of Commerce of China. It has rich resources in promoting bilateral investment. In the year 2013, CIPA actively conducts promoting works by focusing on specific key industrial sectors. Upon implementing the national agricultural modernization drive and enhance the cooperation in agriculture sector, CIPA plans to establish Agricultural Investment Promotion Working Committee (hereinafter referred to as Committee) so as to strengthen the connection with competent agricultural departments, key enterprises, industrial associations, multinational companies, research institutions, experts and etc., to gather the resources through different channels and to promote the bilateral investment as “outbound and inbound investment” along with the development in modern agriculture industry.
II. Working Principles
The Committee will focus on agriculture investment promotion connecting the strengths of government, domestic and overseas investment promotion agencies, international organizations, multinational companies, national large-scale agricultural enterprises, financial agencies, scientific institutions and etc. to build an exchange and cooperation platform for the investors and capital absorbers in agriculture field. Meanwhile, by ways of yearly meetings, regular and irregular investment promotion activities, policy explanation conferences, industrial annual reports, quarterly brief working reports and professional industrial platform etc, the Committee will have an insightful understanding upon the developing demands of its members, collect and report the advices to related departments and provide pointed and effective investment promotion services to the members.
III. Organization Structure
(I) initiating members (14 units)
The initiating member units are all relative departments, institutions or enterprises in agriculture sector who have authority, activity and representativeness. The names are listed as follows:
Investment Promotion Agency of Ministry of Commerce, P.R.China;
China Galaxy Investment Management Co., Ltd;
. F&D Grain Private Equity Fund Management Co. Ltd;
Chinese Overseas Agriculture Development Industrial Alliance;
Ontario Representative Office, Embassy of Canada;
Institute of Agricultural Resources and Regional Planning, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences;
Kashi Economic Development Zone, China;
Linghua Group Incorporated Company ;
Shandong Zhong’ao Holdings Group;
Shandong Land Dairy Co. Ltd
Beijing Debont Co., Ltd.
(II) Members of the Presidium
Among the initiating member units, five members will be chosen as the members of the presidium, to undertake relevant working responsibilities. Temporarily the members of the presidium are as follows: Investment Promotion Agency of Ministry of Commerce, P.R.China, China Galaxy Investment Management Co., Ltd., F&D Grain Private Equity Fund Management Co., Ltd., Chinese Overseas Agriculture Development Industry Alliance and Institute of Agricultural Resources and Regional Planning, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences.
Office of Secretariat: Industry Department No. 1, Investment Promotion Agency of Ministry of Commerce
Personnel Composition: Industry Department No. 1, Investment Promotion Agency of Ministry of Commerce together with one contact person from each of other initiating member units.
(III) Member units to be invited
1. Modern agriculture industrial zones & bases of key provinces and cities
2. International organizations and foreign investment promotion institutions located in China
3. Domestic and overseas agriculture industrial associations 4. Financial agencies
5. Agriculture industry research institutions
6. Domestic and overseas renowned agriculture enterprises
IV. Rights and Obligations of the Organization
Rights and obligations of the initiating units
(1) The Right to Participate: members are entitled to attending the important meetings of the Committee;
(2) The Right to Propose: members are entitled to proposing on the medium and long term development suggestions for the Committee;
(3) The Right to Decide: members are entitled to deciding important matters including the medium and long term development strategies and plans;
(4) Priority: members are entitled to sharing the high quality resources and information with priority.
(1) Abided by the liaison system through selecting a representative and a contact person among the leaders of every unit;
(2) The representatives of the companies shall attend the regular commercial activities of the Committee
(3) Provide high quality resources and information in agricultural sector without disclosing commercial secrets and disrupting horizontal competition;
(4) Maintain the sustainable development of the Committee.
(II) The responsibilities of the members in the presidium
1. Lead every member unit to jointly prompt bilateral investment in agriculture industry;
2. Manage the secretariat works and maintain the cooperation relation among initial member units;
3. Hold special agriculture industry events of all the member units and workshops quarterly of the Committee by turn ;
4. Formulate plans in accordance with the working goals at different stages and report the working progress on a regular basis.
(III) The responsibilities of the secretariat
1. Collect requirements and suggestions on the investment and development of the agriculture industry from every member unit and report them to the relevant departments.
2. Draft and draw out the working programs, projects, notifications and etc. for the Committee;
3. Plan and organize every type of events and conferences of the Committee;
4. In charge of other daily works of the Committee;
V. Job Description
(I) Hold special agriculture industrial events quarterly to promote key states, regions and agricultural enterprises to cooperate on agricultural investment
1. Invite embassies and other foreign agencies to introduce the agricultural investing environment as well as policies and regulations of their respective countries;
2. Invite related authorities and experts to interpret the programs and policies in agriculture industry to analyze the investment policies and the latest trend in modern agricultural development;
3. Publish important agricultural projects subjected to bilateral investments and host matchmaking activities;
4. Prompt the liaison between member enterprises and related ministries, local government departments and foreign commercial organizations located in China;
5. Make full use of the overseas network resources of CIPA and organize overseas agricultural project investigations in light of the advantages and demands of the members so as to stimulate domestic leading enterprises to invest aboard.
(II) Establish investment promotion fund of agriculture industry
Make explorations of establishing investment promotion fund to boost the industrial advancement of agriculture as well as the development and investment of overseas agricultural projects so as to assist the companies to address the difficulty of financing on agricultural projects
(III) Promote the construction of the agricultural demonstration parks
Promote the launch and commercialization of advanced agricultural techniques and scientific achievements that are born in research organization, motivate the cooperation among members by constructing agricultural demonstration parks and etc.
(IV) The report on investment promotion of agriculture industry
Launch research on modern agricultural subjects and feasibility analysis on specific agricultural projects to complete relevant reports on investment promotion of agriculture industry by coordinating the government, experts, enterprises and business associations to provide favors and references to member units.
(V) Build professional website for cooperation and exchange on agricultural investment promotion
Build the communication platform that is at the official website of CIPA at early stage. The specific contents of the platform contain five frames: 1. the release of policy and legal information; 2. a project database; 3. the introductions of key countries (regions); 4. topical agricultural issues and relevant experts’ comments; 5. promotional platform for member units. Meanwhile, the ways of establishing professional cooperation and exchange website for agricultural investment promotion on the foundation of the platform are subject to be explored at the mature stage.